Do you need a root canal? Your teeth are meant to last a lifetime. Years ago, injured or diseased teeth were usually removed. But today, teeth can often be saved through root canal treatment. Root canal therapy is a procedure used to fix teeth that are badly decayed, injured, or infected. Dr. Edwin Yee in Pensacola, FL offers full-service, state-of-the-cart dental care to the patients they serve. Here are 5 signs you may need you a root canal.
1. Tooth Pain: If you experience pain when biting into foods or applying pressure to the tooth, it's possible that you may be suffering from an infection within the tooth. The pain can range from very mild to intense. Root canal treatment is performed to alleviate the pain. This tooth pain should be addressed as soon as possible, as early interference may allow you to save your tooth.
2. Swollen Gums: Gum inflammation near the tooth is a sign that a root canal is required. An infection can cause inflammation. However, inflammation does not always mean that an infection is present. The swelling can range from being very mild to severe. In severe cases, the inflammation may extend into your face or neck.
3. Tooth Sensitivity: Do hot and cold temperatures make your tooth hurt? Sensitivity to hot and cold foods and liquids may be a sign that you need root canal therapy. Your tooth will no longer be sensitive to hot and cold foods and liquids after treatment. If your root canal is successful, the sensitivity should be subsided in about 7-10 days.
4. Bump on Gums: A pimple-like bump on your gum is a sign that you may need root canal treatment. The bump on your gum may disappear and then come back. This bump is an accumulation of pus that is formed as a result of an infection. Your dentist will treat this by performing a root canal.
5. Darkened Tooth: Has your tooth suddenly turned black, brown, or gray? While many things can lead to tooth discoloration, this particular scenario is indicative of severe decay or the breakdown of internal tissue. If you have one darkened tooth, visiting your dentist in Pensacola, FL, for a checkup is recommended.
Never put off until tomorrow what you should do right now. If you think you may need a root canal, call Dr. Edwin Yee at (850) 479-3355 now to schedule a dental consultation in Pensacola, FL. Your dentist will help you break free of tooth pain and get your life back!